Friday, November 25, 2011

A Sixth Door Opens

Sometimes after a day
of hearing the dissonant voice of the world,
beneath the stars I watch the moon
silver the ebon shade till all is silence;
then I step lightly into my many chambered mind
and close its five doors.

Noiseless, a sixth door opens--
a door forgotten when the five are wide.
To the patterned rhythm of the spheres
I drift back aeons to a time-forgotten kingdom
and enter, not as a stranger:
Old friends embrace me and I speak with the Gods I knew
before I breathed the Lethean vapors of birth.
Again I see the PLAN:
the beginning ... the now ... the ending.
(I sang for joy in the beginning.)

Tuned to the mysteries I hear strange music:
the strains in thunder chords and lightning flares;
in winds and quakings of the earth;
in the steel-winged sky ... in death ... and know
that the dissonance of war and tears
will blend into eternal melody.

Slowly I return.
The five doors open ...