Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Aspen Grove

Remembering, I saw
A grove of aspen by a cooling spring
That sang of pine-robed canyons as it tripped
Across the road. I heard their velvet laughter
Tuning the twilight hours to reverence;                                        
Then whispering lullabies to little stars
That twinkled over moon-veiled mountain heights
Like jewels in the dusky robe of night.

When dawn called radiantly
Wearing a copper veil announcing day,
Majestically they reached to touch the sky,
Yet loved the wild rose maidens at their feet
Content to catch an errant sunbeam's kiss.
Their fluttering leaves like tinkling silvery bells
Bade lilting robins meet for morning prayer.

When lightning streaking through
A darkened sky brought awful fear, they played
A symphony to calm the elements;                                                
As even now they calm my restless soul.
When lying sleepless on my bed in pain,
The quiet laughter of this aspen grove
Retunes my heart and I am spirit-free.